Thursday, September 18, 2014

Mozilla Maker Party with Friends



Ahh... it's September! The season of maker party. Maker Party is Mozilla's global campaign to teach the web to all kinds of people around the world. July 15 - September 15 is the season for Maker Party 2014.

This time I was organizing a maker party event for the first time. I've arranged a small maker party in my place, which is called a kitchen party. I've invited some of my friends. They're so non-techy. That's why I chose them to teach something about technology.


All set to rock the party !!
The party was held on 6th September.  It was a sunny day. In the afternoon, five of my friends came to my house for the party.

Firstly, we set up the table, laptop and checked the internet connection. All the participants wrote their names along with email ID's in a white paper. After setting all the things, we started the party !


My friend, Pramit writing his Name in the list

I played the intro video of Mozilla's maker party. We all sat down and watched that. After that I clarified them about what is maker party, what is done in a maker party and also answered their question.



Everyone watching intro video

Then, I started with the webmaker. I gave a short intro to all the four tools of webmaker.  I showed them how to use X-Ray Goggles, Thimbles and Popcorn Maker. I showed them how HTML,CSS,Javascript and other web technologies work inside a webpage with X-Ray Goggles. I was mainly focused in the Thimble part. I started to teach them how things under the hood work. They we're amazed to see that it's so easy to create or change a webpage.


Me teaching the Webmaker

After the session, I taught them how to open accounts in Persona and log into the Webmaker Site. Then each of them were given a task. It was a meme maker which they have to remix in Thimble. Four of them could finish their makes in time. Then there was a vote. It's like you can't vote yourself, but you have to vote another friend.

Finally, we found the winner. That is Baivab Das. And the runners-up was Pramit. I gave Baivab a maker party t-shirt as a gift. I distributed cool swags among them. All my friend s were very happy. That was really an enjoyable & effective event.


Baivab, The Winner !!

At last, we finished the maker party with a cheering group photo.

What will the fox say after seeing this?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi ! I'm Raad. And this my personal blog. Welcome to my blog.